Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day Off = Kanzashi

It was my day off yesterday, the house was clean, and I didn't feel like playing video games (currently Mana Khemia 2) so I decided to make some more kanzashi. This is my third batch, and I can see that I'm very much improving.
For those of you not familliar, kanzashi is a Japanese craft in which one folds fabric squares (usually silk or chirimen) into petals and glue them onto a base to make a flower. So far, I've only used cotton. If you're interested in the process I suggest you check out this youtube video.
The beige and gold flower was actually made with a wide ribbon. Instead of using one of my templates I just folded it over to make squares. It had some wire on the edges, so it held its shape really well. I think it will be nice at Christmas-time
The red/white one is my first successful attempt at round petals. I got the idea from kurokami-kanzashi's deviantART page. I really like how the center turned out.
The multi-colored pastel one is my favorite. I used a sparkly butterfly print cotton for this. My inspiration was the beautiful dahlias that started blooming in my mom's flower beds. Unfortunately, I didn't get the look just right - I'm still too much of a novice to figure out how to get downturned petals. I plan to use this design, on a smaller scale, to make my niece a set of flower clips for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment